AAPM Science Council Associates Mentorship Program (SCAMP)
This program has been established to recognize and cultivate outstanding researchers at an early stage in their careers, with the goal of promoting a long-term commitment to the advancement of science within AAPM. The program uses the process of shadowing to integrate the Associates into the scientific activities of the organization. Our review working group will select eight Associates then assign each one to a Mentor from the AAPM Science Council, Research Committee, Data Sciences Committee, Therapy Physics Committee, Imaging Physics Committee, Technology Assessment Committee, or subcommittees thereof. The Associate will participate in selected meetings of their assigned Mentor's Committee and join a Task Group (chosen with input from the Mentor). Other shadowing AAPM-related activities include abstract review, Young Investigator judging, committee activities at the Annual Meeting, etc.
The Science Council (SC) Associates will participate in the program through the end of the following calendar year. Each Associate will be reimbursed up to $2000 to cover the costs (travel-related expenses including flight, hotel, and meeting registration) to attend the 2024 Annual Meeting in Los Angeles and the 2025 Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. Announcement details along with Associate's picture and short biosketch will be posted on the AAPM website by early June.
- Early career Medical Physicists within five years of earning a doctoral degree. Applicants must have completed their PhD and be either currently in a residency/post-doc position or beginning their career in order to apply.
- Must be a member of AAPM at the time of application (any membership category) and maintain membership for the duration of the award period.
- Pending membership status not acceptable.
- Prior SCAMP recipients are ineligible.
- Applicants applying to both ICAMP and SCAMP programs in the same funding cycle should prepare separate applications, clearly indicating why they think each of the programs would be a good fit for them. Applicants applying to both programs may only be awarded one mentorship.
Required Supporting Documents
- Cover letter outlining current contributions to Medical Physics research, describing future career plans, and reasons for interest in mentorship with within Science Council and its subcommtitees specifically. The Cover Letter should specify the committee(s) and/or committee member(s) of interest e.g., Science Council, Research Committee, Therapy Physics Committee, Imaging Physics Committee, or Technology Assessment Committee, and/or member(s) therein
- A diversity statement limited to one single-spaced page that describes how you have supported and will support and achieve SCAMP and AAPM's goals of equity, diversity and inclusion, especially as it relates to supporting the role of women and underrepresented groups in the field.
- CV (no more than 4 pages)
- Brief letter of support from institution during the SCAMP tenure. This letter indicates support for the time commitment that SCAMP requires. Not a letter of recommendation.
- Please combine and submit all application documents as one PDF.
More information about SCAMP:
AAPM members must log in to access the application.If you are not yet an AAPM member, consider applying now to be eligible.
Application Deadline: April 3, 2024
Recipients notified in early May
Program Contact: Shana Donchatz